Getting Your Tax Return When Leaving Australia

Getting Your Tax Return When Leaving Australia lodge tax return in Australia Oz claim tax return

As a working holiday maker in Australia, it is important to understand the tax system and your obligations when it comes to lodging your tax return. By lodging your tax return, you can claim back any tax that you have overpaid during your time in Australia, and it is important to do so before you leave the country.

Here is a step-by-step guide on how to lodge your tax return as a working holiday maker in Australia:

Step 1: Determine if you need to lodge a tax return

If you have earned income while in Australia, you will likely need to lodge a tax return. However, there are certain thresholds that you need to meet before you are required to lodge a tax return. The thresholds change each year, so it is important to check the current information on the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) website.

For the 2022 financial year, you will need to lodge a tax return if you earned more than $18,200 during the year. If you earned less than this amount, you may still need to lodge a tax return if you have had tax withheld from your pay, or if you want to claim certain tax offsets or deductions.

Step 2: Gather your documents

Before you start your tax return, you will need to gather all the relevant documents and information. This includes:

  • Your Tax File Number (TFN)
  • Your passport and visa details
  • Details of all the income you have earned in Australia, including any pay slips or payment summaries (also known as group certificates)
  • Details of any deductions you want to claim, such as work-related expenses, charitable donations or self-education expenses
  • Details of any other income you have earned during the year, such as interest from a bank account or rental income

It is important to keep all your documentation in a safe place, as you may need it in the future for tax purposes.

Step 3: Register with myGov

To lodge your tax return online, you will need to create a myGov account. myGov is a secure way to access online services provided by the Australian Government, including the ATO.

To create a myGov account, you will need to provide your personal details, including your name, date of birth, email address, and mobile phone number. Once you have created your myGov account, you can link it to the ATO and other government services.

Step 4: Lodge your tax return

There are a few different ways to lodge your tax return, including:

  • Using the ATO’s online lodgement service through your myGov account
  • Using a registered tax agent
  • Completing a paper tax return and mailing it to the ATO

Lodging your tax return online is generally the quickest and easiest option, as the ATO will pre-fill some of the information for you, such as your income and tax withheld. If you use a registered tax agent, they will be able to complete and lodge your tax return on your behalf, but they will charge a fee for their services.

To lodge your tax return online, follow these steps:

  • Log in to your myGov account and select the ATO from the list of services
  • Select ‘Lodge’ from the menu, then ‘Income tax’
  • Follow the prompts to enter your income, deductions, and other details
  • Review and submit your tax return

After you have lodged your tax return, the ATO will send you a notice of assessment, which will tell you if you are entitled to a refund or if you have a tax debt to pay.

Step 5: Claim your refund

If you are entitled to a refund, the ATO will deposit the money directly into your nominated bank account. It can take up to two weeks for the refund to be processed after you have lodged your tax.

Also read: Paid Jobs Australia: Find Paid Work in Oz with Working Holiday Guide

4.9/5 - (12 votes)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

By browsing our website, you agree to our use of cookies.